Departments of H.L.A.K.
The operation of the Historical & Literary Archives of Kavala is organized by 10 separate Departments, each one specialized in particular fields of national and local History, Literature and Folklore. The Departments include a plethora of documents, photographs, pictures, advertising material, maps etc. See below for a brief description of our Departments and click on the "More..." link for a detailed one.
- Department of Archives. It includes Archive of various documents, Archive of election material and Archive of the Jews of Kavala and other regions of Macedonia and Thrace. The unbound documents of of the Department are more than 100,000.
- Department of Library. The library of H.L.A.K. includes more than 30,000 volumes of books, journals, calendars etc, focused on the History and Literature of the extended area of Macedonia and Thrace.
- Department of Photographic & Iconographic Material. It includes photographs and carte-postale of Kavala and other cities of Macedonia and Thrace, from 1875 until today. It also contains an Archive of non-photographic depictions of the city and the prefecture of Kavala, such as paintings, chromolithographies of events and landscapes, gravures etc.
- Department of Press (Archive of Newspapers). It includes newspapers and journals of Kavala and Drama of various periods, from 1910 until nowadays. It also includes newspapers of other cities of Macedonia, Thrace and the rest of Greece.
- Department of Publications. The Department of Publications focuses on the writing, processing and publishing of books about Macedonian and Thracian History and Literature. Moreover, it reissues rare books that are difficult to be retrieved since many years, as well as translates in the Greek language important editions about History and Literature of Northern Greece. The publications include reprints and reproductions of rare original gravures, lithographies, wood engravings etc that are being kept in the Archives, as well as reprints of rare carte-postale and photographs of the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Department of Studies & Research (Research Centre). It focuses on the overall study of the Greek and foreign Archives, as well as H.L.A.K.'s itself. The Department of Studies & Research continuously records evidence of known and unknown historical events of the extended area of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace.
- Department of Maps. It includes hundreds of maps, mainly of Greece and Archipelago, as well as maps of Greek ports. Most of them are very hard to find and some of them are truly rare. The Department of Maps could have comprised an independent museum of great interest by itself.
- Department of Advertisements and Posters. Unique in Greece. It includes a rich Archive of advertising brochures and posters, which were circulated in Kavala and other cities since the beginning of the 20th century. It also contains an Archive of other forms of advertisements.
- Department of Paper Preservation. The activity of the Department of Paper Preservation is quite limited, due to lack of special equipment. Currently, its operation is restricted in the maintenance of unbound documents and newspapers. Its services are provided to the public free of charge.
- Department of Collections. It includes collections of rare Greek and foreign coins and banknotes, as well as great collections of Greek, Cyprian and foreign stamps.